Carle Place Fire Department

“Home of the Frogs”

Formerly known as Frog’s Hollow, Carle Place was the site of an experiment in 1946 by developer William J. Levitt to create low cost homes which would eventually lead to the creation of massive suburban housing developments including nearby Levittown. Organized in 1910, this volunteer department answers over 800 alarms annually providing Fire, Rescue & EMS protection.

Rescue 912 - 2006 Ferrara 1500 gpm/500 gal./30 foam

This rig which replaced both an engine and a heavy rescue was designed to maximize efficiency with limited manpower during daytime responses. For rescue operations, it is equipped with a 30 kw hydraulic generator, two light towers, on-board Hurst extrication system with three reels, air bags, speedy dry hopper and portable winch with receiver plates on multiple sides. For firefighting, it has three crosslays (two 200’ 1-3/4”, one 200’ 2-1/2”), 700’ each of 1-/4” & 2-1/2” attack line, 500’ of 5” LDH supply line, 48’ of ground ladders and is equipped as a mutual aid Rapid Intervention Team.

Antique - 1946 Mack 750 gpm/300 gal.

Fully refurbished in 2005, this rig was the original Engine 912 until replaced with a 1976 Mack CF series pumper. In 2007, the Mack along with a 1999 Spartan/RD Murray heavy rescue were replaced with the 2006 Ferrara rescue pumper shown above becoming the third unit 912 in the department’s history. At the department’s 100th anniversary celebration in July 2010, all three rigs were paraded together when the private owner of the Mack (interestingly enough, the original salesman of the truck ) brought it to Carle Place for the event.

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

Special thanks to FF Charles Giblin III for providing the historical background on Engine 912.