Islip Fire Department

Organized in 1881 as the Islip Fire Brigade, the department was formed in 1888 with the merger of three fire companies. Currently operating out of two stations with 120 volunteers providing Fire, Tactical Rescue & ALS level EMS protection, the department responds to an average of 1,650 alarms. Their 7.5 mile response area includes a “downtown” commercial area, four schools, nine garden apartment complexes, a trailer park, six boat yards, five miles of shoreline, several historic buildings including Islip Town Hall and two major east/west highways.

Engine 3-4-1 - 2007 Pierce Dash 1500 gpm/750 gal.

This rig is the first in the department to sport a black over red paint scheme.

Special thanks to department photographer/webmaster Tom Kaminski for his tremendous assistance in arranging this photo shoot as well as Islip’s members who assisted with positioning the rigs.

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

Engine 3-4-7 - 2007 Pierce Dash 1500 gpm/750 gal.

Engine 3-4-9 - 2000 Pierce Quantum 1750 gpm/750 gal.

Engine 3-4-2 - 2003 Pierce Lance 1750 gpm/750 gal.

When delivered new, this rig as well as Engine 3-4-9 (pictured below) was equipped with dual reels in the hose bed in keeping with Islip’s tradition of operating apparatus with hose reels. Click here to see photos of the reels & one of Islip’s former Mack engines equipped with reels.

Operating as headquarters, this firehouse which dates back to the early 1900’s recently underwent a major renovation. Islip also operates another firehouse on the north side of the district.

A “unyque” story about this patch (remember, “Every Fire Truck Has A Story”) - when Engine Co# 2 (formerly known as Protector Hose Co# 2) decided to create a new patch, the consensus was to use the Peanuts character Charlie Brown to honor the company’s first “foreman” (captain) whose name was Charles Brown. The design includes cartoon renditions of buildings on Islip’s Main Street including Islip Town Hall & Lily Flanagan’s Pub, a favorite hang-out spot of the company members.