Columbia Engine Company No. 1

Organized November 1st, 1902

Located in the center of Oceanside, “The Pride of Midtown” holds the distinction of operating the first motorized fire apparatus on the South Shore of Long Island, a 1913 Mattheson hose wagon.  Responding from the same firehouse since 1951, the company has operated a variety of fire apparatus including a Larrabee, American LaFrance, Mack and even a Kenworth/Oren.

Engine 243 - 2006 Pierce Arrow XT 1500 gpm/500 gal.

Engine 249 - 1998 Pierce Lance 1500 gpm/500 gal.

24Marine 9 - Zodiac Inflatable with 20 HP Outboard Motor

Used for surface water rescue, it is equipped with a heavy duty cargo net, marine radio, water rescue helmets, PFD’s, life rings & throw bags.

The artwork displays Columbia’s pride in their company, its’ 100th anniversary in 2002 and a tribute of the four members of the company who have made the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty.

Special thanks to Chief of Department Timmy Biscay for providing the “grand tour” of Oceanside as well as Lt. Keith Fusco for his assistance with positioning the rigs for photos.

OTHER STATES

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

Copyright 2009 Tom Rinelli

Copyright 2009 Tom Rinelli

Copyright 2009 Tom Rinelli